Saturday, March 9, 2013

Blog Review

12 Core Boundaries To Live By in Life, Dating, & Relationships
Natalie Lue
Reviewed by: Mandee Curtis
I had to search hard to find a dating blog I thought our readers would like.  I somehow came upon Natalie Lue’s blog called ‘Baggage Reclaim’ and decided this was the one I would review.  I have learned before that it is really hard to change people’s beliefs and values because it shapes who a person is.  I believe boundaries go right along those lines.  We all have boundaries, but not all of ours are this defined.  I like how Natalie defines each of her boundaries; you can see she has a lot of respect for herself.  I think many women in our society have lost respect for themselves and I’m sure much of it is due to the media’s influence.
Here are her 12 Core Boundaries: (when you check out her blog you can see the explanations)
1. Under no circumstances will I date someone who is married or has a partner.
2. I will not spend my time waiting around, whether it’s for their calls, or for them to show up after they’ve disappeared, waiting for them to come back, waiting for them to turn into The Man I Think He Could/Should Be, or waiting for them to decide if they want to be with me – I’m not putting my life on hold for anyone.
3. I will not continue engaging in any relationship where either they or I don’t treat me with love, care, trust, and respect.
4. I will not continue dating someone who reveals themselves to be a Future Faker or a Future Avoider.
5. I will not date someone who controls the relationship on their terms – I must be in mutually fulfilling, balanced, healthy relationships.
6. I will not allow someone to use me for sex, devalue me sexually, or treat me in a less than manner.
7. I will drop guys who manage the bulk of the communication in our relationship by text, email, or instant messenger, like a hot potato.
8. I will not allow lies to foster my interactions, whether it’s being in denial or listening to bullshit, being fed lies, or getting the truth distorted.
9. I will not pursue someone who has either directly or passively rejected me.
10. I will not play Florence Nightingale because it is not my job to fix/heal/help the Walking Wounded, which means no partners with substance dependency/abuse and no partners that have issues that prevent them from healthily engaging in a relationship.
11. I will not date an assclown – someone who is unkind/cruel, lacking in empathy, and at best takes advantage and at worst, abuses me.
12. I will not make up excuses for other people’s behaviour or make exceptions to my boundaries. My boundaries are non-negotiable!
As for research I found that when regards to negotiation of intercourse and dating traditional masculine and feminine sexual ideals include: the man as sexually driven, the man as sexual initiator, and the woman as sexual gatekeeper. 
I read about a study that was a qualitative analysis of 79 young adults’ descriptions of sexual and relational messages they received from their first significant dating partner.  “For both men and women, the most frequent theme concerned the negotiation of first sexual intercourse with that partner; other themes differed by gender. Women reported receiving messages from male partners that indicated a high interest in sexual activity as well as pressure to engage in sexual activity. Women’s responses to these messages often involved giving in to unwanted sexual activity. Men reported receiving messages from female partners concerning setting sexual boundaries; they responded to these messages with both acceptance and frustration. Accounts of first significant dating relationships also included discussions of having learned from these relationships, suggesting that experiences with first significant dating partners may have lasting sexual and relational influences (Morgan & Zurbriggen, 2007).
Research tells us that there is a lack of communication about boundaries between men and women dating.  Therefore, this blog is a great tool to help define your own boundaries.  It is important to having boundaries because it shows you respect yourself and demand respect from others.
Morgan, M. E., & Zurbriggen, E. L. (2007). Wanting Sex and Wanting to Wait: Young Adults' Accounts of Sexual Messages from First Significant Dating Partners. Feminism & Psychology, 515-541.



7 comments:

  1. Hi Mandee,
    I like how you highlighted the importance of establishing boundaries in a dating. The research on the implications of sexual messages is very interesting. In what way does Natalie Lue help her audience establish boundaries? What is her advice based on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot to think about - the complications of dating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandee, this is a great blog. I think this woman respects herself a lot, and I agree with you, many women in our modern society don't. Thank you for sharing! A lot to learn from. Darina Prokofyeva

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this post, it was very simple and straight forward but also has valid and applicable information. It is so important for us as women to respect ourselves and this is a great post to help us follow a guide line. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post! I'm looking forward to reading more on the core boundaries. Too often people go into relationships based by feelings and attraction to the other person and their qualities, goals, and looks. Stating boundaries would definitely offer power and direction for those (men too :) wanting to begin a relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I think developing boundaries is key establishing healthy relationships.

    -Kamille

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I think the boundaries that Natalie Lue posts are a great guid line to finding who you want to date and also realize that you are much more important to being in a relationship. She is very candid about the types of men that are out there which also helps raise awareness in single women right now, or men, who are looking for a relationship--don't settle for less!!

    Thank you for the post!
    ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete