Saturday, February 23, 2013

Science of Relationships - Blog Review

By: Mackenzie Parkin

After spending several hours surfing the web for a reputable dating blog, I have come to the conclusion that while there may be an abundance of dating blogs in the sea of information which we call the internet, not all of them are worthwhile catches. Although blogs filled with personal experiences about blind dating, dating disasters, and other personal dating experiences may be somewhat entertaining or amusing to the reader, many of these blogs lack the actual “meat” of reliable information and sources. I am happy to report that after wading, fishing, and finally scouring the internet for one such blog, I finally found one that is based on research rather than just opinion or experience. It is called Science of Relationships and can be found at http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/. The site is user friendly and topics about dating can be accessed easily through the home page. However, for an even more specific feed of posts concerning dating, readers should go to the “Articles” tab and click “Browse Topics” which brings up a topic cloud in which a variety of different dating topics are easily visible.

Another benefit of this site is that the authors all have research backgrounds, with the majority having received a master’s degree or Ph.D. and the vast majority also having teaching experience. Sounds like you may be in for some dry reading, right? Not to worry! After reading through several articles, I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the authors’ of the articles had written not only informational posts, but also included a good deal of humor and a little bit of personal experience incorporated in them as well.  This made for exceptionally entertaining but informative reads—the best kind of reading in my opinion! In fact, I found that I’d lost track of time because I’d been so interested in reading some of the posts. I particularly liked a post titled “Talk is Cheap, and He Was Too,” which discusses the way our society oftentimes uses dating scripts—or expectations of how people should behave on dates—to determine who is expected to pay for the date. Interestingly enough, a large percentage of couples still hold the belief that the man should be the one to pay.
Another thing I enjoyed that I feel should mention about this site is that it covers a variety of modern dating issues. I definitely think that people of all ages and dating situations could find some interesting posts to read through. I definitely give this one two thumbs up for anyone interesting in dating or relationship topics. Happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. Mackenzie this is a great website! Thank you so much for sharing! I like that this website has a lot of research and very good information, also that it has been written by professionals people who have Ph.D and master's degrees. Thank you for sharing! From Dasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that there are not many blogs framed around research Mackenzie. Although I think opinions and experiences are important, so is translating the research and adding your opinions and experiences along with the translated research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mackenzie,
    This is a great post! I love your writing style and I find it very easy to understand what you're trying to get across. I like your honesty on the numerous dating sites and how it took you time to find a creditable one, it makes "Science of Relationships" seem like a great website. In fact, it is, in my opinion. I checked it out after reading this and it was actually quite entertaining and different from what I was expecting. Thanks for the great post! Keep it up!
    - Oliver

    ReplyDelete